join our growing team.
Please check our open positions below and let us know how you can make a difference at fuseproject.
Senior Environmental Designer
San Francisco, CA
We are looking for a Senior Environments Designer to join our growing Environmental team. You should be up to date on the latest trends and styles, and have a passion for unique contemporary solutions. This important role requires broad knowledge and advanced skills in environmental design, ability to collaborate with large multidisciplinary teams as well as amongst your own, and solid client-facing communication skills.
Founded in 1999 by Yves Béhar, fuseproject is an award-winning, integrated design agency. Taking a long-term approach to developing products, experiences and brands, fuseproject works globally and across a wide array of industries as diverse as technology, furniture, fashion, environmental design, and consumer goods.
We fuse together design disciplines including design strategy, industrial design, brand, packaging, experience design (UI/UX), and environmental design for corporate clients and startups such as Herman Miller, Samsung, USAID/DFID, PayPal, Movado, Kodak and many more.
In order to apply you MUST submit a portfolio
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Deliver core interiors and environmental design expertise to multi-faced design projects at a world-leading product design, strategy and brand-building firm.
- Deliver comprehensive design submissions to clients in a timely manner and provide design support through the completion of projects by applying relevant design guidelines and standards.
- Present to client and internal stakeholders with full confidence and knowledge of project scope and direction.
- Demonstrate creative abilities and applied problem-solving skills.
- Self-manage and demonstrate high level of professional maturity.
- Be quality minded and self-motivated.
- Partner with Strategy, Industrial & Experience Design teams within fuse, to execute and deliver uniquely strong, world-class, game-changing designs and outcomes.
- Assist in the development of designs, immerse yourself in project development and the production processes, and have an ability to work cooperatively within the design team.
- Ability to travel internationally on a regular cadence.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Proven leader with 5-10 years experience in retail, environmental design, pop-up, commercial interiors, or trade show.
- Architectural and/or Design degree; preferably licensed.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with architectural designers to integrate building, interior architecture and execution with fabricators, shops, and diverse subcontractors; experience overseeing custom fabrication and on-site implementation.
- Minimum five (5) years practical experience across all phases of design: conceptual design/sketching; design development; construction drawings and specification documentation.
- Experience assembling post-design guidelines.
- Experience integrating merchandising, signage, video and print graphics into environmental design work.
- Contemporary, internationally-savvy design sensibility.
- Experience working with architectural photographers; styling and detailed documentation.
- Strong portfolio of completed, well-documented projects.
- Proven collaborator on large project teams. The ability to ‘lead and follow’ within internal project teams.
- Strong organizational and communications skills. Excellent client presentation skills: experience presenting to senior clients and groups; ability to assemble visual presentations.
- Leonardo Da Vinci-level sketching abilities.
- Software skills: e.g. Sketch-Up, InDesign, AutoCad, Keynote, Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Rhino, V-Ray and 3DMax, core business productivity suites.
- Ability to deliver against aggressive deadlines, on-time.
- Proven experience creating, managing, and operating within comprehensive design budgets.
- US / International understanding of building, fire, and life-safety codes.
- Understanding of typical fabrication detailing and processes (cabinetry/millwork/custom or thematic elements).
- Proficient in researching and proposing FF&E (furniture, fixtures, and equipment) and sustainable selections; working within budget limits; expert in CMF (color, materials, finishes). Deep knowledge of current vendor resources in floor and surface materials and finishes, glass systems, lighting systems and controls, fabrics and coverings, seating, desking and offices systems, furniture, A/V integration.
- Uncompromising passion for unique, crisp, and distilled contemporary solutions in which “forms follows function,” and client’s requirements are delivered via strong, breakthrough gestures.